Getting A Visa For Your Partner: How Does It Work?

Getting A Visa For Your Partner: How Does It Work?

2 March 2018
 Categories: , Blog

Do you have a significant other who lives in another country? The two of you may have met online or in person when you were traveling. Now that things are getting serious, you're probably interested in finding a way to get your partner into the United States in a legal manner. If he or she is not a citizen of the United States, it would be beneficial for you to contact an immigration attorney to find out which steps you'd need to take to get your loved one into America.

Applying For a Visa

Immigrant visas are offered by the United States to people from foreign countries for several different reasons. The best way to figure out which visa your significant other should apply for is to speak directly with the attorney who can provide plenty of guidance. For example, a K1 visa is likely the best option if you're engaged to the individual who lives in a different country. If your partner gets the visa, you'll have 90 days to get married. If you don't get married within 90 days, he or she would have to leave the United States. If the two of you are already married but you're a citizen of the United States and he or she is not, applying for a K3 visa would be ideal.

Understanding the Process

It's important to understand that this process is lengthy and isn't something that will happen overnight. Working with an immigration attorney is the best way for you to make sure you're filing the petition correctly and filling out all the necessary paperwork that is required. Processing for the visa often takes several months. It may take up to 3 months or longer before you hear back from the US Embassy about the interview process. An interview must be conducted before an individual is granted a visa to come over to the United States for a set amount of time. If your loved one gets approved, he or she will get the chance to come to the United States to stay with you.

If your significant other lives in another country and you'd like him or her to be able to live with you in the United States, consult with an immigration attorney about your options. It may be possible to have a petition filed on behalf of your loved one to help him or her get a visa to enter the United States and get married to you if you're not already married to one another.

For more information, contact a company like Carmen DiAmore-Siah Attorney At Law.